Dirtiness is the Mistress of StressUnclean workplaces have a very high chance of hosting a wide array of pathogens which would make employees sick. But that’s not the only thing that you should worry about because a 2010 study by the scientific journal Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin show that untidy environments play a huge factor when it comes to varying levels of stress. There are a couple of reasons why mess causes stress and here are some of them:
- Guilt– When a place is untidy, it makes one feel guilt and embarrassment. They’d feel inadequate as an individual because they weren’t able to do such a simple task and they’d be bogged down by thoughts of “I should be more organized,” making them lose focus at work. This results in lower levels of energy and productivity.
- Anxiety– It’s normal for everyone to be on edge when they’re in the office. It is a busy place that requires quick action from time to time, making you anxious. An untidy desk, or workplace in general, would heighten your levels of anxiety, which makes you lose your cool and mess up.
- Distractions– Clutters distract us because they act as extra stimuli for our eyes. This in turn, would make an employee lose focus and inhibit his, or her, productivity and creativity. It could have been prevented, have you contracted better cleaning services for your business or company.
How Does One Remedy This “Messy” Situation?The immediate answer would be to clean the office regularly. This would not only prevent possibles diseases from spreading, but it would also heighten the level of joy for employees. That means higher levels of productivity, positivity and healthy work attitudes within the company. How does one attain this? Well, you can do the following:
- Implement house rules.Limit the amount of belongings your employees could take with them to their desks by providing lockers.
- Throw away old, or unused files and papers.Paper clutters are one of the prime suspects for messy offices and reducing them makes your workplace look more organized and tidier.
- Dust, mop, sweep and clean the whole place.Whether it’s a bench, a TV screen, a computer, everything. Leave no stone unturned.